Sunday 20 January 2013

Key points for discussion and preparation for individual surgeries

Is the position statement clear and coherent?

A print driven designer with a focus on branding for the creative sector.

(Fashion industry, graphic designers, designers)
 
Is there a clear rationale that clarifies what you are doing and why?


I want to use my final major project to continue to experiment with colour choices, print methods, paper stock and print finishes whilst focusing on design for retail.

Brief 1: Yearbook:: This will allow me to work collaboratively on a live brief that involves publication design for commercial print.

Brief 2: Graduate Fashion Show Branding:: This will allow me to work on a live investigation into events branding and promotion with a focus on graphic design for fashion.

Brief 3: Fashion Graduate Lavinia Rowland Branding:: This brief will allow me to develop a print driven investigation into fashion sector with a focus on branding.

Brief 4: 2013 D&AD It's Nice That:: This brief will enable me to investigate editorial design with a focus on print finishes and paper stocks.

Brief 5: Go Paintball Branding:: This will allow me to develop a research driven investigation into branding with a focus on colour.

Are there clear themes/subjects identified that will allow for the development of significant content, research and source material?


Print: processes/ finishes
Colour 
Typography
Layout
Publication

Have specific design disciplines been identified and are they appropriate to your aims and ambitions?


 -Retail (promotion/ branding/ identity)
 -Personal Branding/ Identity
 -Editorial
 -Events Promotion
 -Events branding
 -Current graphic design trends: I want to capitalize on current design trends where possible to make my design appeal to other desigers.
 -Live briefs: I want to work on briefs which are real and will give my work meaning and context.

 
Have appropriate research activities been identified that will provide an informed body of appropriate source material?


Research visit
Studio visit

Have appropriate contextual references been proposed and are they relevant to the overall design practice?


 -Jay Hess, 2010. Graphic Design for Fashion. 1 Edition. Laurence King Publishers.

2009. Fashion Graphics. 1 Edition. Page One Publishing Private.

-Victionary, 2009. Colour Mania (Colors May Vary). 4 Edition. Victionary.

-Viction Workshop, 2012. I Love Type 05: Gill Sans. 1 Edition. Victionary.

Computer Arts Magazine: Branding
Computer Arts Magazine: Graphic Design


Do the proposed brief provide an opportunity to explore the above concerns?


Yes. However, I do need to consider more research activities in order to allow me to develop an informed body of work that backs up the body of work I am going produce for my final major project.

Do the proposed briefs provide an opportunity to develop a significant body of work appropriate to level 6?


Possibly. I have written out what deliverables I expect to produce for each brief, however, I want to go through these in my personal tutorial in order to ensure that I am getting the most out of each brief.